Tutor terms and conditions
Please read the following before registering with EducateFirst. By registering, you accept that you are entering into a contract with us based on these Terms and Conditions. We reserve the right to make any necessary changes to these Terms and Conditions.
The term “student” refers to the person(s), including their nominees, requiring or requesting tuition or any other services from EducateFirst; “tutor” refers to a person suitably qualified and experienced to provide tuition services in specific areas of expertise; “you” refers to yourself (the tutor); “us”, “we” or “our” means EducateFirst (Ltd).
1. You affirm that you are of at least 18 years of age, have the necessary qualifications and/or experience to provide tuition in the subjects highlighted to EducateFirst at the time of registration.
2. As a tutor you are expected to be punctual and maintain professional conduct at all times.
3. You are expected to communicate effectively with both students and parents, addressing any questions appropriately and professionally.
4. You agree with the fees (hourly rates) of your contracted service and, if applicable, any associated charges set by EducateFirst for the tuition you provide. Payments will not be made in the event of your absence for whatever reason.
5. You understand that EducateFirst cannot guarantee to find a suitable student for a tutor.
6. Upon receiving a contract/assignment, a tutor must contact the student or his/her nominee within 24 hours to confirm details and requirements, and formally arrange a time and date for the lesson.
7. You must not discuss any fees (charged or outstanding) with any student/parent or another tutor.
8. You must not demand or accept any form of payment from a student/parent. All payments are agreed and handled only by authorised personnel on behalf of EducateFirst.
9. A tutor must abide by the contract at all times and either arrange via EducateFirst or inform EducateFirst of further tuition for a current or new student. Tuition outside if a contract is not permitted.
10. A tutor must inform EducateFirst of any new leads (tuition or other educational services work) resulting from a contract related directly or indirectly to EducateFirst. Any additional educational services to members must be arranged via EducateFirst.
11. You must ensure that you keep your knowledge up-to-date in the subjects you are teaching and, if necessary, prepare/read background materials so that full support can be provided to your students.
12. You are responsible for the completion of your timesheet and have it signed by the student or nominee after each lesson. Timesheets must be submitted to us no later than the 5th day of the subsequent month to ensure that payment is made in a timely manner. Payment will be made to your account by BACS. Please ensure you have completed a BACS form.
13. You acknowledge that you are not an employee of EducateFirst and accept full responsibility for all your Income Tax, National Insurance and other liabilities payable in relation to any fees/payments generated by a contract or other work with EducateFirst.
14. You agree to pay any monies owed to EducateFirst by you (for whatever reason) in full upon request within the specified timeframe. For payments outstanding, EducateFirst may refer the matter to a legal representative and/or debt recovery agency. In any case, you will be liable to pay all associated fees and costs, which will be added to your account.
15. A tutor is responsible for informing the student and EducateFirst of any periods during which tuition cannot take place. This includes illness, holidays and other periods of absence. Please give a minimum of 48 hours notice (except in unforeseeable circumstances). Cancellation of contracted tuition lessons or other services without due notice may be subjected to an administration charge at the discretion of EducateFirst.
16. You understand that EducateFirst has the right to suspend or terminate your membership at any time if, in our view, there has been a breach of the contract, abuse of our services or the bringing of our services/company into disrepute.
17. By providing us with your details and or other information, you agree that we may hold this information on our database. With the exception of your appointed tutor/student, we will not pass on your personal details to any third party without your consent. However, you agree that we may use your details (e.g. your email address) to invite you to join our communications network, including social networking websites; you are under no obligation to join or accept such an invitation.
Public liability and indemnity
1. You are responsible to ensure you have public liability insurance to cover the cost of claims that may be made against you should any member of the public suffer injury, damage to property or any other damages as a direct or indirect result of your teaching work. A tutor’s insurance policy should provide a minimum cover of £1 million.
2. You agree to indemnify EducateFirst, its directors, managers and employees of all claim liabilities, costs and expenses (actual or consequential) of every kind and nature known and unknown, suspected and unsuspected, disclosed and undisclosed, directly and indirectly arising as a result of your work or liaison with the company, its affiliates, employees/ representatives or students/parents.
In addition to the above, tutors working in our educational classes must abide by the following basic rules:
1. As a tutor you are expected to be punctual and maintain professional conduct at all times during time in class.
2. You are responsible for planning each lesson and ensuring you have obtained any relevant materials (worksheets, books, instruments, etc) beforehand. Lessons each week must cover the topics highlighted in the syllabus provided for each Key Stage.
3. You are expected to ensure students are comfortable with their work (either their own work or that set by yourself or another tutor).
4. You must provide equal time to each individual student and ensure they are confident and understand the work or tasks set by yourself or another tutor.
5. Tutors must ensure that, wherever possible, each student’s work is marked during the class. This may be marked by yourself or answers may be provided to the students for self assessment/marking. The progress of each student, including all test results/marks, must be recorded in the Tutor Record Book each week and kept up-to-date.
6. All Tutor Record Books and any other materials provided by EducateFirst remain the property of the company and must be surrendered to EducateFirst upon request or prior to the termination of the contract. Payments to tutors may be withheld until all property belonging to the company is returned.
7. All tutors are encouraged to make the lessons as interactive as possible. This can be through the use of presentations, group work and general discussions focusing on certain aspects of the students’ work or task.
8. Tutors are responsible for ensuring any equipment (e.g. laptops/projectors) to be used in their lessons is set up at the beginning of the lesson and not part way through as this often disrupts the class. Tutors must ensure that all equipment/materials/books are packed away and returned at the end of the lesson.
9. You must not distribute, copy or sell any of the materials used or provided by EducateFirst without our permission.
10. You may use appropriate external/third party resources or materials to supplement your tuition in class; however, the tutor is solely responsible for the appropriateness, accuracy and validity of such materials. EducateFirst cannot be held responsible for any copyright or licensed material that you may select to use.
11. As a tutor, you are expected to communicate effectively with both students and parents, addressing any questions appropriately and professionally.
12. You must not approach, offer or encourage any student/parent to arrange additional tuition outside of EducateFirst. Tutors should direct any student/parent who approaches them for further tuition to contact EducateFirst. Tuition outside of this contract is not permitted. Any additional educational services to students must be arranged via EducateFirst.
13. You must complete your timesheet and have it signed by a representative of EducateFirst each week. Timesheets must be submitted to us no later than the 5th day of the subsequent month to ensure that payment is made in a timely manner. Payment will be made to your account by BACS (please ensure you have completed a BACS form). Late timesheets may result in your payment being delayed until the subsequent month.
14. You are contracted to work on behalf of EducateFirst on a temporary basis. This contract may be terminated by EducateFirst without notice should your services no longer be required. However, we will endeavour to provide advance notice whenever possible.
15. You must provide EducateFirst with sufficient notice if you are not able to attend a class, so that alternative arrangements can be made and avoid disruption to the students’ studies. If you are unable to attend class due to illness, then you must telephone and speak with a member of the EducateFirst team, providing as much advance notice as possible prior to the start of your class. An advance notice of 2 weeks is required for all planned holidays.
16. Tutors are required to provide EducateFirst with a notice of at least 4 weeks should they wish to terminate their agreement and no longer provide tuition in the classes.