Student terms and conditions
1. Definitions: the term “student” refers to the person(s), including their nominees, requiring or requesting tuition or any other services from EducateFirst; “tutor” refers to a person suitably qualified and experienced to provide tuition services in specific areas of expertise; “us”, “we” or “our” means EducateFirst (Ltd).
2. During the registration process and at any other time, a student must provide EducateFirst with accurate and current information about him/herself, including his/her name, address, telephone number, educational requirements and any other requested details. By providing us with your details and or other information, you agree that we may hold this information on our database. With the exception of our senior management staff and your appointed tutor, we will not pass on your personal details to any third party without your consent. However, you agree that we may use your details (e.g. your email address) to invite you to join our communications network, including social networking websites; you are under no obligation to join or accept such an invitation.
3. Registration is FREE; however, advanced payment for the first lesson is required. A full refund will be offered should EducateFirst be unable to secure a tutor within 2 weeks. However, if a student cancels and no longer requires a tutor, they are only entitled to a 50% refund of the amount paid.
4. For a one-off tuition or induction lesson, a student agrees to pay the agreed fee to EducateFirst in advance of the lesson. For continued tuition lessons, the student agrees to pay the agreed fees when billed at the end of each calendar month. All payments must be cleared within 7 days. Where applicable, the amount due will be debited from your account if payment has not been cleared within 14 days of the date on the invoice. You also agree to ensure sufficient funds are available in your bank account before making payment – an administration fee of £10 will be applied should any payment fail to clear, including any cheques returned unpaid (bounced), cancelled or represented, and credit/debit cards or standing orders being rejected.
5. A student is responsible for payment of fees to EducateFirst and not to the tutor. Where a payment is not made within 14 days of the requested date, we reserve the right to terminate your membership and cease any further services. Late payments may be subject to an interest charge at the Bank of England base rate plus 8% as recommended by the Late Payment legislation for small businesses. Continued failure to pay fees will result in legal proceedings, the cost/fees for which will also be charged to the student.
6. A student must not discuss fees and/or any other charges with the tutor.
7. A student must not seek, receive or accept tuition from the contracted tutor or any other tutor who is a member of EducateFirst without prior agreement with EducateFirst.
8. The student agrees to sign the tutor’s timesheet after each lesson. In addition, the student must keep his/her own record of the number of hours of tuition received.
9. By registering to use our services, a student acknowledges that individual tutors may have different teaching methods and styles, and that although tutors are selected by us, they are not trained by EducateFirst.
10. A student acknowledges that EducateFirst is not responsible for the tutor’s performance or the outcome of the tuition and/or other services received by the student.
11. A student shall indemnify EducateFirst in related to any liability arising from a student’s use of the website, tutoring and/or other services and all matters arising from such use.
12. A tutor cannot be held responsible for child minding, guarding a house and household effects, during tutoring. It is the responsibility of the student and/or nominee to ensure that a responsible adult is on the premises at all times.
13. A student is responsible for informing the tutor and EducateFirst of any periods where tuition cannot take place or is not required. This includes illness, holidays and other periods of absence. Please give a minimum of 24 hours’ notice (except in unforeseeable situations). Cancellation of contracted tuition lessons or other services without due notice may result in the student still being charged at the agreed hourly rate.
14. A student must give at least 7 days notice in writing to both the tutor and EducateFirst should tuition no longer be required. This will allow the tutor to plan and/or complete his/her work with the student as well as plan his/her other commitments. Students may either e-mail or post their notice to EducateFirst.
15. A student understands that EducateFirst has the right to suspend or terminate its services at any time if, in our view, there has been a breach of the contract, abuse of our services or the bringing of our services into disrepute.